Tuesday 10 July 2007

My Delphi 2007 program isn't debugging!

I think I've just found a little "think first" when using Delphi 2007.

Trying to step through the code with the debugger to find out how and why something isn't happening as it should, I placed a break point on the first line of my FormCreate method. When I ran the application in debug mode, my breakpoint changed to a green cross and the program didn't stop.

Aha! said I to myself thinking myself clever (always a mistake), It's a project option. I must have turned off the debugger. Nope - that wasn't it.

Aha then! (yes, clever again) I must have changed some other compiler directive somewhere. Nope - stumped.

Realisation is now dawning on me that I wasn't half as clever as I thought I was and I eventualy even reverted to the old "Microsoft's fault" fix-all - Exit Delphi and all other programs, close down and start the whole computer up again. Load up Delphi, place the breakpoint, run and ... Nope - that wasn't it either.

Several minutes of frustration followed in which it would not be prudent to relate all the details (I am Christian after all).

Then it dawned on me. A small 'thank-you' to Him and off I go to Project Options, Build Events. Yes, I had a Post-Build event.

My normal process is to build the application, then move the application to the ..\bin directory where it needs to be in order to run correctly. Being exceptionally clever (or so I thought at the time), I placed those steps into the Post Build event. That was several weeks ago and I had forgotten.

In order to correctly debug the program today, I changed the project's output Directory to the ..\bin directory where it needed to be to run.

What all that meant was that when I ran build (F9), I expected the program to run to the breakpoint and then stop. However, Delphi knew that I wanted some things to happen in the Post build routine and copied over the just-built exe with an older version sitting in the ..\source directory. Now there is an exe running that does not have the breakpoint and does not relate to the code I am expecting to run.

A interesting morning's lesson on trying to be too clever for my own good.

Have a great day.

Steve

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I just installed Delphi 2007, and facing similar debugging problem. Tell me, how did you got around this problem? Or are you still wondering.
    Take care,
    Ahmed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep Reading Ahmed. I found the answer :)

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. My breakpoints also stopped working for no reason. Got it working again by setting all the Debugging checkboxes under Compiler found via Project->Options menu.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.