Wednesday 7 March 2007

Welcome to my Blog

Gidday, and welcome to my Blog.

This blog will mainly concentrate on Delphi code examples, news, personal experiences with Delphi, and with things I have learned, like remembering to take your keys with you when you go out - it only takes the click of the door behind you to remember that you can't get back in without them.

I've been using Delphi since version 1.0 of Turbo Pascal waaaaay back. I was even using something called Pascal MT+ before that. I've used many languages over the years, including Basic, C, C++, dBase and all its hybrids like Foxpro, Visual Basic, Java, JavaScript, Perl, DataFlex, Modula 2 ..... The list goes on. However, underlying it all I kept returning to Borland's Delphi.

IN the 1980's I designed and wrote New Zealand's top selling suite of small business accounting programs - that's more than 500,000 lines of code in one release - on my own. No other language could cope with a single programmer managing that many lines of code. I wrote everything from the file handling (indexes, files, linked lists etc.) to the screen and memory handling - all in Turbo Pascal. Since then I have seen numerous examples of very large applications written and running very well in Delphi.

Since selling that accounting suite, I have been a consultant to many different organisations including telecommunications, banks, insurance, logistical operations and others, large and small as everything from Applications developer, Team lead, Project Manager, Development Manager, and even Business Unit Manager. I have enjoyed most thoroughly but never more so than when put behind a computer with Delphi up and running.

Welcome to what I hope to be a regular and informative blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.